eToro is a very popular trading platform for various forms of stock trading. On this trading platform, you can trade shares, CFDs, indices, cryptocurrency, “regular” currencies and other securities.
Thus, it is not the least bit surprising that the platform has become popular, because as a customer of eToro you get absolutely enormous opportunities.
In addition to being a trading platform, eToro has become both an investment network and a social platform where their customers can interact with each other in the form of discussion, sharing experiences, giving tips or simply copying each other’s strategies.
This is a review of the trading platform eToro. In this article, we will therefore get to know better how eToro works. Here you will find everything you need to know about this trading platform.
What is eToro?
eToro is one of the world’s largest trading platforms that was established in 2007. Although it has almost been 20 years since its establishment, several of the founders are still involved. This is the eToro management team:
- Yoni Assia – chief executive officer and founder
- Ronen Assia – crime product officer and co-founder
- Shalom Berkovitz – CFO and Assistant Director
- Dr. Hedva Ber – global chief operations officer and deputy director
- Avi Sela – chief operating officer
- Tuval Chomut – Solutions Director
- Nir Szmulewicz – Marketing Manager
- Jonathan Dayan – VP trading
- Tal Ben-Simon – VP product
- Israel Kalush – VP engineering
- Etay Cohen – VP customer facing
- Doron Rosenblum – Deputy Director of Business Solutions
- Miri Kedem – VP human resources
- Debbie Kahal – general counsel
- Elad Lavi – Vice President of Corporate Development
- Meron Shani – VP finance
- Guy Hirsch – general manager (US region)
- Robert Francis – managing director (Australia region)
- Lule Demmissie – USA’s CEO
- Kit Wong – Managing Director Asia and Managing Director Singapore
- Dan Moczulski – Managing Director UK
- Santo Politi – board member
- Avner Stepak – board member
- Eddy Shalev – board member
- J. Christopher Giancarlo – Senior Advisor
- Prof. Shmuel Hauser – Senior Advisor
- Michael Ptasznik – board member
Together, this team works to strengthen a global investment community.
Most businesses have a clear goal with their business, and eToro is no exception.
eToro’s goal is “to give you the opportunity to increase your knowledge and wealth as part of a global community of investors”.
In addition to eToro having a specific goal that they work towards, they also have a set of values that are important to them.
These values are reflected in two of eToro’s most important aspects – their product offering (ie the products and services they offer) and their customers’ user experience.
eToro’s values are also an important part of the company’s internal culture and employee experience.
Below we’ll take a closer look at eToro’s values!
eToro wants to remove barriers and ensure that absolutely everyone has access to online trading and investing. To achieve this, they are concerned with simplifying the process and making it more transparent.
eToro is a trading platform that is very intuitive. Hopefully you’ll also find it easy to use.
eToro also wants to simplify the investment process by giving customers everything they need in one place. In the past, it was common to use several, different platforms for each individual step in the investment process, but this is no longer the case.
But eToro doesn’t stop there. They are continuously working to expand their product offering!
At the time eToro was established, the economic situation was stagnant. They wanted to do something about this. Innovation is an important part of eToro’s DNA.
Ever since its inception in 2007, eToro has worked to offer new ways of trading and investing online.
eToro describes this very well themselves: “We have created ground-breaking financial products in response to the changing needs of our users. We are, and promise to remain, innovative and disruptive”.
eToro is concerned with quality and ensuring that customers get as good a user experience as possible.
Remember that eToro is a trademark, and the user experience must be good from the first second customers lay their eyes on the eToro logo.
Entertainment is also important to eToro. eToro is primarily an investment platform, but they want to be much more than that.
In addition to being an investment platform, eToro is also a social network. This is not a platform based solely on financial assets; on this platform, customers also have the opportunity to exchange knowledge, ideas, thoughts and feelings.
eToro works to ensure an interface that is both intuitive and user-friendly, which in turn will have a positive impact on the investment experience. An intuitive and user-friendly interface makes the investment process both simple, interactive and entertaining.
As I said, eToro is also a social network, and it is mainly two things: openness and transparency.
Through eToro, users get access to all the information they need to make informed choices that will lead to a much greater degree of success as investors. Transparency includes, among other things, that it is possible for users to communicate with each other, as well as to have an overview of their performance and risk score.
eToro is also concerned that all information must be communicated in a clear way to users. A classic example is hidden fees. This has been criticized by a number of other trading platforms, but eToro is completely open that this is not something they practise. In addition, they work continuously to ensure that the platform’s guidelines are perceived as clear.
The history of eToro
eToro is a trading platform built on social collaboration and investor education. They describe themselves as “a community where users can gather, share and learn”.
eToro was established in 2007, which means that they are approaching their 20th anniversary. In other words, the history of eToro is getting quite long, and we will take a little look at their history below.
- January 2007: Three entrepreneurs decided they wanted to change the world of trading. They wanted to make trading something that was accessible to everyone everywhere. Trading should also not be dependent on traditional financial institutions. Thus eToro was born.
- September 2007: The first iteration of eToro was a reality, when eToro became a visual FX trading platform. Graphic representations of the platform’s financial instruments were implemented in the website. The purpose of this was to make it easier to understand trading, while also making it fun.
- May 2009: WebTrader was launched. This was a trading platform that made it possible for both beginners and experienced traders to make use of eToro.
- July 2010: eToro became the world’s first social trading platform. The CopyTrader™ feature made it possible to copy other traders who had achieved success with their trades. eToro was named “Finovate Europe Best of Show” this year.
- April 2012: In April 2012, eToro became available as a mobile app, and could be used by both Apple and Android users.
- July 2013: In July 2013, eToro expanded its services. Until then, you had been able to trade, for example, raw materials and currencies, but now you also had access to a large selection of shares. This led to a large number of diversified portfolios.
- October 2015: eToro became new! The combination of WebTrader’s online features and OpenBook’s social features led to a completely new interface.
- February 2016: CopyPortfolios was introduced. The portfolios are divided by background into assets and investors based on theme/strategy.
- February 2017: eToro expanded its range of cryptocurrencies and from now on customers could trade and invest in cryptocurrencies such as Ethereum, XRP, Litecoin and many other cryptocurrencies.
- March 2019: eToro began work on becoming a US crypto platform. Their large selection is just the beginning! Just looking forward to what’s to come…
- May 2019: Introduction of shares with 0% commission was a fact. We will return to what this means a little further down in the review.
- November 2021: eToro Money was launched. It is a financial service that helps give eToro’s customers a holistic approach to investing. The launch of eToro Money also led to the launch of a separate eToro VISA card.
- January 2022: eToro officially launched stock investing in the US. Zero brokerage and a large selection of EFTs are some of the things Americans were given the opportunity to enjoy!
Investment opportunities at eToro
eToro is a trading platform that offers many investment opportunities.
You can find an overview of eToro’s investment opportunities by hovering your mouse over “Trade” in the website’s top menu. A “drop down menu” will then appear and at the top of the list it says “Trade markets on eToro”.
eToro presents its investment opportunities in several ways, both in the form of illustrations and text. The illustration can be found at the top of the page and it tells you that eToro has the following to offer:
- Shares: 2974
- EFTs: 264
- Indexes: 15
- Cryptocurrency: 76
- Raw materials: 15
- Currencies: 49
Below we will go into a little more detail on each of eToro’s investment opportunities.
Through eToro you can invest in shares with 0% commission.
Here you have the opportunity to invest in everything from technology to healthcare, regardless of the shares’ location. Are they in New York, or maybe Hong Kong? It doesn’t matter – just invest in the road!
eToro allows you to fill up your portfolio with various stocks from some of the world’s largest exchanges. Here you don’t have to worry about both commission and trading volume – because there really are no limits!
At eToro, diversification with EFTs is also possible.
With EFTs, it is possible to invest in the financial markets in a way that is both flexible and comprehensive. For example, there are no management fees.
Through eToro you can also invest in EFTs or trade them as CFDs.
At eToro you can also expand your exposure with indices. Indices enable you to take advantage of market trends regardless of whether they rise or fall.
If you want to invest in the general stock market, then indices are the perfect way to do it.
Indices also provide the opportunity to manage the exposure in a very flexible way.
Thanks to eToro, buying cryptocurrency has never been easier.
Here you get access to a large selection of leading cryptoassets and several innovative tools that cannot be found anywhere else.
The service has been named eToro Crypto, and is often described as “the ultimate crypto solution”. The reason is that you get everything you need in one and the same place – trading platform, exchange and crypto wallet.
Last but certainly not least: eToro Crypto is regulated by a fintech leader that you don’t have to doubt for a single second.
eToro opens a new door for you, as they give you the opportunity to discover what opportunities the world’s largest commodity market has to offer.
Commodities can be traded as CFDs and this can be done with a single click. The trade ensures both flexible gearing and deep liquidity.
At eToro you can also invest long or short in currency. The foreign exchange market is one of the world’s largest and most active financial markets. Another name you may have heard is FX.
Through eToro, you get the opportunity to both buy and sell large USD pairs and other currency crosses.
eToro also gives you the option to leverage the currency up to 1:30 (or 1:400, if you’re a professional). With leverage, you gain much greater exposure even though you may have little capital to begin with.
eToro fee structure
What is eToro’s fee structure like? We perceive eToro as a very affordable trading platform, and there are several reasons for that.
With eToro, for example, you avoid brokerage. This is a common fee that many trading platforms operate with, but eToro does not.
Despite that, it is not the case that fee structure is an irrelevant concept in the context of eToro. There are several other details you should have in mind before creating an account with eToro. We will take a closer look at these details below.
Shares and EFT
Are you considering buying shares or EFT with eToro? You can do this completely commission-free!
At eToro you can buy stocks and/or EFT in bulk or just a fraction. Here, you decide! The only criterion is that you must trade for a minimum of 10 US dollars.
But what does it really mean that shares and EFT can be bought completely commission-free? “No commission” means the following at eToro:
- No management fees
- No brokerage
- No daily fees
- No additional brokerage fees
In other words, when buying shares or EFT at eToro, you only pay the spread, i.e. the difference between the purchase value and the sale value.
When you buy cryptocurrency (or crypto shares as eToro calls it), you are buying assets. After the position is closed, you own these assets. Here, too, you naturally have to pay the spread.
In addition to the spread, you also have to pay a small fee to eToro. Every time you open or close a position you will be charged a fee of 1%.
When buying CFDs (Contracts For Difference) you only pay the spread, but this can of course vary. How the spread is calculated can vary from product to product, for example the spread on currency and commodities is calculated based on pip (percentage in point).
When trading CFDs at eToro, the spread will be at least 0.75 points, but this will vary depending on which index you trade/invest in. CFDs on shares have a fixed spread of 0.09%, while for CFDs on cryptocurrency you have to pay a spread + 1%.
Here is a small overview of the spread for the various products that can be traded at eToro:
- Shares and EFT: 0.09%
- Indices: from 0.75%
- Cryptocurrency: Spread + 1%
- Currency: from 1 pip
- Commodities: from 2 pips
At eToro, you get access to CopyTrader™, but there are no additional fees or other hidden costs when using this.
But here it is important to be careful: There can be both spread and daily fees.
eToro also gives you the opportunity to invest in portfolios that have already been completed.
There is no administration fee for such investments. Nor any form of commission, as all share portfolios are commission-free.
That said, there is a possibility that fees may apply for the specific assets in each portfolio.
Above we have looked at eToro’s fee structure in connection with specific products and services. But what about general fees? Is this something eToro operates with? Let’s take a look!
eToro does not operate with deposit fees
Are you going to make a withdrawal from your account? With each withdrawal, you will be charged a small fee of US$5.
eToro operates with a fixed fee in connection with withdrawals. The fee goes to defray part of the costs that international money transfers lead to.
When you want to make a withdrawal, you must withdraw a minimum of 30 US dollars. If you withdraw 30 US dollars, you will be left with 25 of them, since you will be charged a fee of 5 dollars.
At eToro, all deposits and withdrawals are made in US dollars (USD). This means that all other currencies must be exchanged, and then an exchange fee is charged. The exchange fee varies between 0 and 150 pips.
How high the exchange fee is will vary based on which currency it is to be exchanged into and which payment method is used.
If you are going to exchange to, for example, british kroner and use PayPal as a payment method, there is an exchange fee of NOK 50.
Fee for inactivity
eToro also operates with a fee for inactivity. If 12 months have passed without you logging into your account even once, you will be charged an inactivity fee of US$10 each month.
The inactivity fee will remain and roll. If the inactivity was not planned and you have one or more positions open, these will not be closed to cover the fee.
eToro payment methods
eToro offers a large selection of payment methods. In addition, there is a relatively varied selection, which we think is very good.
With a large selection of payment methods, eToro makes it easier for its customers to find a payment method that suits them. It also deserves credit, as a poor selection of payment methods can be enough to make someone choose one operator in favor of another.
However, it is important to be aware of the details in connection with each individual payment method, for example that the transaction time may vary somewhat and that it is not certain that all payment methods are available in your country.
Below we will take a closer look at the payment methods available at eToro.
eToro naturally accepts payment by credit/debit card. This means that you can pay with your bank card as simply as that, or a credit card that you keep in your wallet or at the bottom of a drawer.
When paying by credit/debit card, the transaction takes place instantly, and this payment method is available to everyone. In other words, it is international.
Payment is made in either USD, GBP, EUR or AUD, which means that you may have to exchange and thus pay a small exchange fee.
This option gives you a maximum deposit limit of USD 40,000.
You can also choose to pay with PayPal. PayPal is an e-wallet, which is very popular. The payment takes place immediately, but you do not give your card information directly to the operator you pay to. Instead, it is with PayPal, and that is something many people see as reassuring.
PayPal is an international payment method, so theoretically it should be usable by everyone. But not all countries have adopted PayPal, and therefore not everyone can use it either. Here is an overview of the countries where PayPal will not be an option:
- American Samoa
- Antigua and Barbuda
- Cayman Islands
- Costa Rica
- The Dominican Republic
- El Salvador
- Falkland Islands
- French Guiana
- The Netherlands Antilles
- Northern Mariana Islands
- Puerto Rico
- Reunion Island
- Saint Lucia
- Saudi Arabia
- US Outer Islands
- The US Virgin Islands
- Great Britain
- Virgin Islands
As you can see, United Kingdom is not on this list. This means that PayPal is available as a payment method for eToro’s british customers. The only criterion is that you have to have an active PayPal account.
Also when using PayPal, the currencies USD, GBP, EUR and AUD apply. This means that it may also be relevant here to exchange this into your “correct” currency, for which you therefore have to pay an exchange fee. The deposit limit is USD 10,000.
But you may have caught your eye on one of the newer e-wallets? If you have a Neteller account, you can use this as well. Neteller works in the same way as PayPal, as both are e-wallets.
Neteller is also an international payment method, but it is not available in all countries. It is also not a given that your country accepts this payment method anymore, even if it theoretically exists and you may have used it before.
Like PayPal, Neteller has a long list of countries where the service is not available, but United Kingdom is not on this list. This means that eToro’s british customers can use this payment method if they wish.
With Neteller you can choose between USD, GBP and EUR, and the transaction takes place instantly. The deposit limit is USD 10,000.
Skrill is another e-wallet that you can use in connection with deposits to eToro.
Skrill can be used by eToro’s british customers, but it is important to check the conditions for its use. We can tell you that you will be charged a fee of a certain percentage, but that the percentage varies based on which payment method you use in combination with Skrill. Bank cards will be the best here, because then the fee is 0%.
Beyond that, the details are pretty much the same. The customer can choose between the currencies USD, GBP and EUR, and the transaction takes place instantly. The deposit limit is USD 10,000.
Another payment method eToro’s customers can use is Rapid Transfer. This is a payment method that is available for EEA countries, but there are naturally some exceptions here as well. Here is a small overview of which countries Rapid Transfer is available:
- The Netherlands
- United Kingdom
- Great Britain
As the overview shows, eToro’s british customers are free to use this payment method.
Rapid Transfer operates with a deposit limit of USD 5,500. The transaction takes place in USD, GPR or EUR, so you may have to change to another currency. Payment is made automatically.
Klarna / Sofort Banking
eToro also accepts Klarna/Sofort Banking, which is very convenient for those who do not want to leave any kind of bank information with any operator.
If you choose Klarna/Sofort Banking as payment method, you will be sent an invoice which you can pay afterwards. However, the transaction itself is instantaneous.
You do not need to be a Klarna customer to use this payment method, but at the time of writing this payment method is only available in a few selected countries, including United Kingdom :
- The Netherlands
Payments via Klarna/Sofort Banking have a deposit limit of USD 30,000, and all payments are made in EUR.
eToro accepts payments via bank transfer. This means that you can pay via your online bank, but this is a process that can take between 4 and 7 days.
A bank transfer can be made in USD, GBP and EUR. It is an international payment method that can be used by everyone. But remember that it may be appropriate to exchange into another currency, and then there will be an exchange fee.
If you choose to pay by bank transfer, you can deposit as much money as you want into your account. In other words, there is no deposit limit here – it is unlimited.
Bank transfer via Trustly
You can also choose bank transfer via Trustly. This is a payment method available for selected countries in the EU area:
- The Netherlands
- United Kingdom
- Great Britain
- Czech Republic
With a bank transfer via Trustly, you can choose between the following currencies: EUR, GBP, SEK, DKK, NOK, PLN and CZK. This means that eToro’s british e customers do not need to cash in, so bank transfer via Trustly is a good alternative.
The transaction itself happens immediately, and has a deposit limit of USD 40,000.
POLi is an online payment method based on online banking.
This payment method is available to eToros users in Australia. Thus, it is the currency AUD that is most common here.
Transactions with POLi are instant, and have a deposit limit of USD 70,000.
eToro customer service
It is not unusual for users of a trading platform to stumble upon a problem from time to time. Or that you have a question that you would like to have an answer to before you decide to what extent you want to create a user or not.
That has undoubtedly been the case for several of eToro’s users, and then they naturally want to have a customer service that they can turn to. The question is just how eToro has solved this task?
The shortcut to eToro’s customer service center can be found in the main menu under “Company” and “Help Center”. By pressing “Help Center” you will be sent to the eToro Help Center.
eToro has its own help center. This is a tool for you who like to find out the problem yourself by reading up to it. At eToro’s help center you will find answers to several questions that other users have asked before you, and these are divided into different categories:
- My account
- Deposits and withdrawals
- Copy trading
- Crypto fees and prices
- eToro Partners
- eToro Money Crypto Wallet
After inspecting eToro’s help center, we are left with the impression that this is a great chance for you to find the solution to your problem here. However, it assumes that the question is of the easy kind, for example “How do I deposit money?”
However, it is not a given that everyone will find the answer to their question at the help centre. Then they probably need to get in touch with eToro’s customer service. The shortcut to eToro’s customer service center can be found at the top of the help center.
The first thing that meets you there is a small introduction to what you can do at eToro’s customer service center. It is like the following:
- Follow all your inquiries from one place
- Review completed inquiries
- Search for answers to your questions in the knowledge bank
- Submit questions and feedback directly to the eToro team
If you have not succeeded in finding an answer to your question in the help centre, you can send an inquiry to customer service. Then you have to choose between “visitor” and “existing user”.
After you have sent the inquiry, all you have to do is wait. eToro asks everyone who has submitted inquiries not to submit more, as this will only result in a delayed response. However, we are missing information about “estimated response time”, even though we understand that this is something that can vary greatly at times.
eToro also offers live chat, but this is a feature reserved for “existing users”. Naturally, we would like people without users to be able to make use of this function.
Is eToro safe?
Most people are “raised” to be skeptical of online services. In addition, it cannot be understated that fraud is a major problem that is not always easy to detect. This has led to questions such as “Is eToro safe?”.
“Is eToro safe?” is a very common question, which we have had to answer quite a few times. It is therefore also natural to include it in this review. Because is eToro safe?
There is nothing wrong with being skeptical, but we can assure you that eToro is a trading platform that is completely safe to use! We will return to why in the next section, where we will look at the advantages (and disadvantages) of eToro.
Advantages and disadvantages
As you have probably realized by now, eToro is a trading platform that consists of many good elements. Several of these have been mentioned during the review, but in this section we will go through them again so that you get everything gathered in one place.
At the same time, it is important to recognize that there are no things that are absolutely perfect. eToro is no exception, so we’ll spend some time looking at some of the platform’s downsides as well.
Here is an overview of some of the benefits of eToro:
- Can be used by anyone – eToro is simply a trading platform that can be used by anyone due to the platform’s simple interface. The website is informative, and it is not difficult to find what you are looking for, which is undoubtedly very positive. Using eToro does not require a lot of prior knowledge, and we think that is very good. eToro is a trading platform for both beginners and advanced!
- Ease of use – eToro is a very user-friendly trading platform. As mentioned, the website is informative, but it is also very easy to navigate around this website. In addition, eToro is available as a mobile app, which increases user-friendliness considerably. You can use eToro exactly when and where it suits each individual!
- Large selection of tools – eToro offers a large selection of different tools that their customers can use. It is very convenient considering their very experienced customers. But it is also good that you are not dependent on using them if you do not feel that you have complete control over it yet.
- Many different products – As we have seen earlier in this review, eToro offers many different products. You can trade stocks, EFTs, indices, cryptocurrency and much more on this trading platform. Here they have collected everything in one place, which is naturally very practical.
- Adapted for british – eToro is a platform adapted for british . Here you can choose british as your language, which makes it even easier to find what you are looking for – simply because you know the language.
- Different payment methods – eToro has a wide variety of payment methods, so finding a payment method you like won’t be a big problem. Quite the contrary – you might find more!
- Good fee structure – There may be a fee here and there, for example if you have to exchange from USD to another currency, but in general we think eToro has a good fee structure. For example, zero commission, which is very good!
Here is a small overview of some of the disadvantages of eToro:
- No british customer service – Although the website is available in british , this is also where it stops. eToro’s customer service is not available in british , which means that a Norwegian has to know English or be able to communicate in another language to get help with what they are wondering. It usually goes well in most cases, but of course we want customer service in british !
- Long response time for customer service – eToro does not operate with “estimated response time”, so you have no idea how long it will take from the time you submit an inquiry until you receive a response. It can take a few hours, but it can also take a few days depending on how big the load is at the time in question. We naturally understand that, but it wouldn’t have hurt to state “estimated response time”.
- NOK as an alternative – eToro generally does not operate with NOK as an alternative, and we find that very unfortunate. Among all the payment methods, only one of them had NOK as an alternative, and that is simply too little.
eToro is one of the world’s largest and most popular trading platforms. The platform has more than 20 million users worldwide.
eToro is also among the first players to offer stock trading with zero brokerage, which is very good. In addition, they offer a number of tools and functions, as well as many investment opportunities. They also deserve an extra plus in the margin for the fact that the trading platform is adapted to both beginners and more experienced traders.
eToro is a trading platform with many advantages, but it cannot be overlooked that they also have improvement potential here and there. For example in connection with their customer service. The help center is good, but the customer service could undoubtedly be better.
But all in all, we think that eToro appears as a safe, secure and good player, so we are happy to recommend eToro to anyone who is interested in investing, because eToro is a platform that can make it both educational and fun!